Since 1972, the Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISSofBC) has been providing a variety of settlement, education and employment service services for immigrants and refugees. ISSofBC is the largest agency of its kind in Western Canada, serving over 23,000 clients every year.
In 2013, ISSofBC began a phased initiative to develop a sustainable emploayaiblity eportfolio solution for their clients.
Don Presant of Learning Agents facilitated two workshops for ISSofBC staff:
- a half-day planning workshop for key employees to explore options and answer questions about eportfolio technology and implementation options
- a one day, hands-on eportfolio-building workshop using Mahara to essentially the same group of key ISSofBC employees. This group will be responsible for implementing the initiative, including training others.
The experience of building their own eportfolios using a template designed for immigrants enabled these key employees to teach eportfolio skills to their colleagues and their clients.
Content from first workshop
February to April 2013
- Senior Consultant
- Multimedia technologist
Division Manager - Career Services, Manager - Communications
#501 - 333 Terminal Avenue, Vancouver, BC V6A 2L7
T: 604-684-2561 Ext. 1142
Agenda sample from second workshop
- 09:15: Round robin: record audio introductions
- 09:30: System overview, login, create profile
- Using the text editor
- Contact info, introduction statement
- Discuss: profile/resume fields vs. text blocks
- 10:00:Edit/upload portrait photo
- Using a free online image editor
- 10:20: Customizing the Profile Page
- Removing default blocks, adding new blocks